The town of Shipka is a settlement that has existed since the 11th-6th century BCE when the Bulgarian lands were inhabited by the Thracians. The period from the 6th to the 2nd century BCE is considered a period of flourishing Thracian culture. Numerous remains from this period can be found in the area of Shipka, Kazanlak, and the surrounding settlements. In the 1st century, the Thracian lands were conquered by the Romans.
When Bulgaria fell under Ottoman rule in 1396, the settlement of Shipka was established to guard and maintain the pass. During the Ottoman rule, Shipka was burned three times by the Turks. As a result of the destruction, a part of the population of Shipka fled to the Balkan Mountains and settled in Provadia, where they created the village of Nova Shipka. Another part of the population fled and settled in the village of Sheynovo (in the Kazanlak region). The Shipka Peak (the exact geographical name of the peak is St. Nicholas) witnessed some of the most important battles for the Liberation of Bulgaria. The Memorial Temple of the Birth of Christ was built in memory of the Russian soldiers and Bulgarian volunteers who died in the Russo-Turkish War of Liberation in 1877-1878. The crypt of the temple houses the graves with the bones of the fallen Russian soldiers and Bulgarian volunteers.
During the outbreak of the Balkan War in 1912, three individuals from Shipka volunteered in the Macedonian-Adrianople Volunteer Corps.